Wednesday, February 03, 2010

WW Meetings Matter....

Meetings Matter
Elizabeth after
After
Elizabeth before
Before
NameElizabeth
Age36
Height5'0.5"
Was192 lbs
Lost35.4 lbs*
Weight156.6 lbs
As of28/07/2009

*Results Not Typical

A funny thing happened when I decide to go back to meetings; the weight started coming off again!



A hiatus from meetings made Elizabeth painfully aware that they are the key to her success.
Elizabeth

I work as an administrative assistant for a vascular surgeon. My sedentary lifestyle and poor nutrition had contributed to some weight gain through the years. Because I am around doctors all day, I became concerned when I noticed that my feet and ankles were swelling. I had gone from a size 10 shoe to a 12 in no time. I asked one of the doctors in the office to take a quick look and was shocked when the doctor informed me that I had developed edema, a swelling caused by fluid in your body's tissues. The main cause of edema is eating a poor diet high in salt and carbohydrates.

Nutrition knowledge
The diagnosis was the wake-up call that I needed, and I started to change my eating habits, tackling weight loss on my own. I had a small amount of success, but became frustrated and decided I needed some additional support. I joined Weight Watchers meetings and started following the POINTS® Weight-Loss System. I immediately fell in love with the plan and all that I was learning. I quickly realised that I simply had lacked knowledge of proper nutrition. Suddenly I had resources and information about how to feed my body to keep it healthy.

As time went on, I decided that I would stop attending meetings and could continue on my own with the plan. Within a few weeks I realised that without the accountability and support of the meeting I was putting the weight back on. I got scared. I saw myself going right back to where I had started. As difficult as it was, I took myself back to meetings and the support and accountability I enjoyed there.

Return and lose
A funny thing happened when I decide to go back; the weight started coming off again! As I sat there the second time through, I realised something. During every meeting I received not only the tips and education I needed to lose the weight, but got well needed support from people who were going through exactly what I was. This isn’t a simple process and being around others who struggle along with you is inspiring.

I love the new me. I can finally buy clothing that I like in stores and have energy and confidence that I thought was gone for good. In meetings I learned skills that have helped me tackle cultural, emotional and physical challenges. I am active and healthy and there is no looking back for me now!

Elizabeth’s tips
  • Think about your goals.
  • Attend meetings.
  • Learn how to read nutrition labels.
  • Exercise.
  • Only you have the power to take charge of what goes in your body. Have the will power to say no.
  • Dance while cleaning and when out at parties! It's good to keep yourself moving and music always helps!
  • Remember you are never a failure. If mess up one day, the next day is a new beginning.

No comments: