Thursday, March 13, 2008

NEW YORK - DAY 3- Spring Awakening


After a good work out at the Hotel Gym, today, I ventured out to see Kathy perform a live concert in a Office lobby of a big office building right in the middle of the Wall Street area. I took the subway, the number 2 train down to Wall street, and found my way to 80 Pine street where Kathy, and a double reed ensemble were performing a lunch time concert. The lobby was a bustling with Lunch times crowds, rushing out to grab a quick lunch. As Kathy and this group of 2 oboes, 2 english horns and 2 bassoons played everything from Handel to Oh Danny Boy. Most enjoyed the nice, different setting it created. But like life in New York, most where really to busy to even notice that they were playing. Ya do what ya need to do, to play in this city !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-oBV98kaoI

After the hour lunch time concert, Kathy and I made our way to Wall street, and saw the New York Stock Exchange building. It is really heavily fortified now since 9-11... no more inside tours for tourist, just guarded by heavily armed guards, and lots of police cars, with huge metal boulder like blocks in the middle of the street.. so no cars can even get close to the building.. it's pedestrian only. A huge change from the last time I saw this building, when I visited Kathy in 2000, when the WTC was still there and intact!

We looked around for a nice place to have lunch, found this cool Middle East restaurant and had delicious Lamb Shawarma for lunch. We then went into the subway system, to make our way back to my hotel, uptown. We relaxed a bit, then slowly got ready to go to our next adventure. " Spring Awakening"... the Broadway Show, I bought tickets online a couple of weeks ago.

The Theatre was very small, not even a public lobby, we had to line up outside and wait for the Theatre doors to open, to which opened straight to the inside of the theatre.. there we saw a really neat set up.. not stage curtain, and chairs for public to also sit on the stage ! We had an aisle seat, 10 rows from the front, PERFECT!.. the Show was amazing.. !!! the most creative, artistic show I have ever seen. And the music was fantastic. The small band was also on the stage.. very different !! The story about teenagers discovering SEX!.. taking place in 1891 in Germany... (at the end of this journal, I will add the story line, straight from the Spring Awaking Web site). Kathy and I loved it ! I bought the CD..

It is coming to Toronto next year, and I recommend that everyone see it.. you will be amazed !! After the show, Kathy and I walked down to the Mariott hotel, and had a drink at the 8th floor lounge that over looks Times Square, I have been here many times in the past, and remains one of my favorite look out points. Kathy came back with me to my hotel, as my livingroom of my suite, has a pull out bed in the couch, so she decided to slept over, as so she would be able to work out with me in the morning, and enjoy some hotel comp breakfast with me as well... a great day.. once again. !! http://www.springawakening.com/home.php

Full Story Description

SPRING AWAKENING takes its inspiration from one of literature’s most controversial masterpieces – a work so daring in its depiction of teenage self-discovery, it was banned from the stage and not performed in its complete form in English for nearly 100 years.

It’s Germany, 1891. A world where the grown-ups hold all the cards. The beautiful young Wendla explores the mysteries of her body, and wonders aloud where babies come from, till Mama tells her to shut it, and put on a proper dress.

Elsewhere, the brilliant and fearless young Melchior interrupts a mind-numbing Latin drill to defend his buddy Moritz – a boy so traumatized by puberty he can’t concentrate on anything. Not that the Headmaster cares. He strikes them both and tells them to turn in their lesson.

One afternoon – in a private place in the woods – Melchior and Wendla meet by accident, and soon find within themselves a desire unlike anything they’ve ever felt.

As they fumble their way into one another’s arms, Moritz flounders and soon fails out of school. When even his one adult friend, Melchior’s mother, ignores his plea for help, he is left so distraught he can’t hear the promise of life offered by his outcast friend Ilse.

Naturally, the Headmasters waste no time in pinning the “crime” of Moritz’s suicide on Melchior and expel him. And soon Mama learns her little Wendla is pregnant. Now the young lovers must struggle against all odds to build a world together for their child.

1 comment:

Laurie (TheSafestScents.com) said...

I saw Spring Awakening when I was in NYC last month, and I absolutely loved it! There is a touring show coming to where I live in January, and I will certainly go! It was wonderful!