Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nature in the City

Yesterday I was on my way to work and stopped in Starbucks for my morning Latte. When I came back to the car, to which my niece was waiting in, she was all excited and yelling and screaming about a big bird killing something! She pointed out down the way a bit, and low and behold a giant what I thought was a Falcon, but really turns out to be a Red-Tail Hawk, was devouring a pigeon that it has just swooped down from and sky and killed. This all took place right in the downtown core of Toronto, on a pretty pedestrian, car heavy traveled road. I was in shock. Of course I had my camera with me, so I started taking pictures of this phenomenon, and a little video. Of course this type of occurrence is very common about 3 hours north of the city, but NOT in the downtown core! And the bird was totally oblivious to the pedestrians walking by, or stopping to take pictures with there cell phone and such. Quite the unusual site for the typical Torontonian! That’s for sure! Although we do see in the downtown area during the summer months lots of: Squirrels, Chipmunks, Raccoons, Groundhogs, Skunks, Rabbits, Mice, Rats and other specials birds, such as Falcons, Hawks, Blue jays, and Red and yellow Cardinals.



Ah Canada ! I do love thee!


No comments: