Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Biggest Loser Tips....


Biggest Loser Tips….

I have received a lot of emails and posts lately with questions about my diet, and how much the Biggest Loser has influenced it. After watching the Biggest Loser cast and past winners on Larry King Live that was on tonight, I can say, yes they have taught me a very important lesson, and I think all that want to be successful must follow their advice!

There is as we know a huge obesity epidemic in North America, in both Canada and the United States. I have written one of my past blogs (Thursday, October 16, 2008 Cultural Culinary Displacement Syndrome ) about the food intake problems of North Americans. For myself, yes I was a carb and sugar addict. It’s definitely an addiction as far as I’m concerned. I just simply can not have the food I crave in my house! I do enjoy a 100 calorie snack once in a while, but if I buy a box of 6, I will end up eating the whole box! So in order to help my cravings, I do incorporate one high calorie; eat what you want, day; Usually on Saturday’s. On Saturday’s I usually go out for dinner, many times I go to my local Sushi restaurant, but sometimes also the local Italian as well. I have dessert and I have the basket of bread, with butter of course. But then, back on Sunday and the rest of the week, back on track, and back to the gym and continue to burn more calories than I consume.

As I wrote about my Christmas adventures in the month of December, December was a write-off as far as I’m concerned, but I did get all my cravings out of my system, and didn’t feel too guilty doing it, and come January 1st, 2009 I was back to my regime of counting calories and working out.

Some other tips I can offer is… when you are really craving something salty, or hearty, I usually make myself a cup of instant soup. Also I am eating my more fruit. Especially now that it’s mandarin /Clementine season, I have a big bowl of Clementine’s on my desk in front of me, both at home and at the office. Tea also helps with the cravings, with one little 100 calorie bag of peanut butter cookies. I eat 5 to 6 times a day, Breakfast, then at 11am a snack, like an orange, then Lunch the again a snack at 4pm, usually tea and a bag of 100 calories cookies, then dinner, workout, then a protein shake at about 10pm to end the day. I find if I stick to this schedule, I don’t’ really get hungry or crave for other things.

Keeping your self busy is a must. I don’t watch more than 1 hour of TV a day now. I used to watch up to 4 hours a day. And most of my really bad snacking happened at night while I was sitting on the couch and watching the TV.

I try not to make any lunch or dinner dates with any one. I avoid eating dinner with my sisters, as they always cook stuff I can’t really eat, and end up eating way more than I should. I cook for myself at least 5 nights a week, and never go out for lunch, I pack my own. I don’t drink any alcohol, and completely cut out drinking any DIET soda products. The taste of something sweet like diet coke makes me want to consume chips or popcorn with it!

I still find it hard to go to a movie theatre without eating popcorn with the film. So I do buy the popcorn, a small bag, no butter of course, but then I do cut down on my dinner, or lunch calories to compensate.

You know, last week Oprah said something that really hit hard for me. She talked about making yourself priority number one! That me, my health is the most important thing I am doing right now. That nothing else is as important; because if you do not live a healthy lifestyle, and you get sick, you end up losing everything else. I’m creeping closer and closer to 50 now, and as most people know, your health problems can really start after 50, with heart disease, or other fat related issues.

Eating Healthy and Exercise is the key to living long and healthy and happy!
And besides, with all the stress that I have been going through lately with my workplace at the moment, I know that this new healthier lifestyle has helped me cope with it in a better way!

No comments: