Saturday, April 04, 2009

NO more HIDING behind my Glasses!


I made a huge change this week!.. I"m going to come clean and own up to my huge flaws !!

For the past 3 months I’ve been on a titter totter ride of dieting. I would work out and eat small amounts of food, loose 1 – 3 pounds during the week, and then in the weekend I would stop. Not dieting, but end up eating more, than more normal weekday activities. I remember watching Biggest Loser one Tuesday, and Bob gave a quick “ Trainer Tip” during the show and talked about haveing a ‘ High Calorie’ day at least once a week, say in the weekend, in order to trick your body it’s getting food again, and kick it out of it’s starvation mode. At the time, back in January, I thought Wooo Hooooo! High Calorie day.. I can handle that! Well.. I think I went kind of nuts for the last 3 months. And really ate too much on the weekends. No junk food, no crap, but just had bigger portions, and a few chocolates and bread here and there…

Wrong!

I strongly advice against this… I got into a bad habit again! And because of this, I would indeed gain back all the weight I had lost during the week, over the weekend.

So here is the plain and simple truth in the form of chart of my weight-loss and gain over the last 3 months

January 6- 246
January 13- 240
January 20- 243
January 27 - 241
February 7- 240
February 17- 238
February 24 – 242
March 3 - 239
March 11- 235
March 17 – 238
March 24- 239
April 1 - 235
April 4 – 238

So with all these totally honest totals totaled up.. the results are shocking..!

I have lost a total of 25 pounds in the last 3 months, BUT gained a total of 14 of it back!

My weight on January 6th was 246 if I subtract those 25 pounds today I should really weight 221 lbs.. and not 238!!

Dam! Enough is enough!

I was/am still really upset and embarrassed about my weight gain, and as you can see I never really published it on my ‘ Weight-Loss Progress’ chart on the right side of my blog…

Now I have come clean! ...There you have it!

Hench I republish the articles I copied from the Oprah Magazine about the ‘ Weekend Effect’

Not going down this titter totter road any more. My diet(ing) now includes the weekend!!
Here’s the article

Beat the "Weekend Effect"

Everyone needs a break. But relax your diet and exercise efforts too much on the weekend and you could offset the hard work you put in Monday through Friday, report researchers from the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis.

Susan B. Racette, PhD, assistant professor of physical therapy and medicine at the university and the lead study author, documented this phenomenon by carefully tracking the weight, eating habits, and physical activity levels of 48 women and men before and during her 12-month diet and exercise study. Participants kept food diaries (they weighed and measured everything they ate), weighed themselves on laboratory-grade scales every morning, and wore monitors equipped with sensors to measure physical activity.

The results surprised Racette: Before the study began, volunteers were eating enough additional calories each weekend—compared with their weekday regimen—to result in a gain of 9 pounds in a year.

Once the study started, participants who were supposed to be following a reduced-calorie diet had a steady weight dip from Monday through Thursday. But beginning on Friday, they simply stopped losing weight. The study also had an exercise-only group, and these people actually gained weight.

The reason for the gain was that on Saturday and Sunday, nearly everyone cheated a little—eating an extra 100 to 300 calories a day, mostly from higher-fat foods. And while physical activity increased on Saturdays, it was lower than average on Sundays.

"We thought weekends would present a problem for some people, but it was actually a problem for almost everyone—and these were motivated people who knew they were being watched closely," Racette says.

The good news is that the gain each weekend was, on average, less than half a pound, the kind of small increase that only becomes a problem over months. Preventing the gain should be easy, Racette says, provided you plan for it. "Set aside some time for a walk on Sunday," she says. "Eat before you leave the house to run errands so you don't end up at the drive-through or the mall food court. Bring snacks if you're going to sit at a child's soccer game all day so you don't buy nachos from the snack stand."

No comments: