Monday, December 22, 2008

OPRAH- The Blame Game

In the January issue of O magazine, out this week, Oprah Winfrey says she weighs 200 pounds and has fallen off the wagon when it comes to healthy living. "I'm mad at myself," Winfrey writes in an article provided early to the Associated Press. "I'm embarrassed. I can't believe that after all these years, all the things I know how to do, I'm still talking about my weight. I look at my thinner self and think, 'How did I let this happen again?' "

Okay.. now everyone has been writing and complaining about this, with comments like:

“oh dam!!.. she has so much money, she has her own chef, she has her own trainer…”
“…she has all the tools and money to lose weight, and with those, should be able to keep it off !…”
“…if she can’t do it, how are we peasants suppose to do it !”

Come’on people… give me a break!!… If I had as much money as her I would be in the same boat too !!…

.. why you ask??

Because the amount of money you make is reflective of how hard you work!!

If you make a shit load of money, you probably work 10-12 hours a day, every day!! To which I’m sure Oprah has pulled several hundred 14 - 16 hour days!

Oprah, is a very busy, busy lady, between having to edit a magazine every month, she has to produce a show every day, plus keep up with all her charity work, plus plus, plus…

I don’t work for Oprah, I’m not her publicist or any thing.. but I do watch her shows, and one has to admit that she has been a great help to thousands of women and men over the years… and taking time for herself is probably the last thing on her daily list of things to do…

I think she has done an amazing job … and we whiney women should lay off the blame game… !!!
If you need to lose weight.. Do it !!

Don’t blame others for your own lack of motivation and discipline!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I have to call bullshit on this.

It's a lot easier to "do the work" when you're not trying to stretch family meals with cheap foods like rice, or eating bread from a food panty. It's a heck of a lot easier to keep on track when you have a personal trainer, and it's a lot easier to exercise when you can afford a gym membership.

Yes, there are people who go it alone at home. I bet a lot of them can afford a treadmill or a stationary bike... or a real bike.

Sure, Oprah is busy... but she has her own chef who can cook healthy meals, and doesn't rely on frozen or fast food. Sure, perhaps some of the problem is that she CHOOSES not to take time for herself. But there are plenty of people out there who don't have the choices her job and financial situation can afford.

Today I went down to the food pantry to get food for my family for the week... my medical bills have far outstipped my income this month, but they were closed. If I had gotten food, they pretty much hand out bread and rice. That's a far cry from the options Oprah has.

The BIGGEST problem with your post is that for some reason you've bought into the myth that "If you make a shitload of money, you probably work 10-12 hours a day" We all know THAT isn't true. Look at CEOs and professional athletes, and other performers. It's the low income wages and single moms working two jobs to try to keep a roof over their heads that are putting in the most hours, have the least amount of time to spend on themselves... AND the LOWEST incomes.

Is Oprah an excuse we should all use? No. But she's been a model for many women... and she has the resources most of us only dream of.

Wendy Limbertie said...

of course I agree with this post as well.. not all of us are so fortunate to earn some big bucks like Oprah, but are working hard as ever to make ends meet...

I am truly in support of looking at everything from different angles and opinions !

this post from Fab Kate is an example of how we all can slip into generalizations about life!!

losing weight is hard! any way you look at it.. for the rich and or poor!

Happy Holidays!!

Anonymous said...

I am fortunate that I am not trying to lose or maintain a certain weight - but I have watched friends make enormous efforts and sacrifices to do just that - but when it comes to commenting that it's "a lot easier to do the work when you're not trying to stretch family meals with cheap foods like rice, or eating bread from a food pantry" - thereby infering that those with money have it a lot easier I feel driven to comment. I, like so many others have to watch my pennies and buy groceries carefully - but I am probably luckier than many - however it is not fair to Oprah Winfrey to suggest that she chooses not to take time for herself - the more successful, the more others rely on you and the responsibility can be somewhat onerous I would imagine. Since the person being cited as having it so much easier is Oprah - I have to say that I don't imagine there are many people alive today who manage to do as much as she in each day - have no idea how she achieves all that and I say that she has earned and deserves all the life support she has - she is the first to recognize that she is fortunate on that level. And, you know there are tremendous healthy alternatives to bread - for the price of a loaf I can buy a can of chick peas, kidney beans and tomoatoes and make a wonderful filling cassoulet